GEHR Info: September 1 reopening of school schedule
July 27, 2020
Dear Students, Parents and Guardians,
Governor Murphy has directed all school districts to open for in person instruction. Mandatory face coverings and social distancing wherever possible is part of the directive. To allow for proper spacing, we have created a special hybrid schedule and have divided each school in half for in person learning. In other words, half of our students will be invited to be in school while the remaining half stay home for virtual instruction. This decision will allow a 50% reduction of all students riding the bus and attending in person instruction in our classrooms at any one time. We have produced an abbreviated time schedule as well with all students beginning at 10:30 a.m. This time schedule allows us for maintain our after-school clubs and athletic programs.
This letter will not attempt to answer all or your questions. In fact, information from our Governor, Department of Education and the Department of Health changes daily. However, we believe sharing our schedule for learning now will allow you to plan for the opening of school. We will continue to be in constant contact with you in the coming weeks. We encourage you to keep current by checking your email and our website daily. Many already know that voluntary workouts for our athletic programs and marching band are beginning this week and next.
- Please take time to review the attached color-coded schedule for learning. As you review both the time schedule and monthly schedule, keep in mind the following:
We are all responsible for wearing a mask while on the bus and in school.
- We must all follow directions, signs and requests regarding social distancing.
- Every family may request to remain on a virtual program and not report for in person learning. Information on this choice will be sent home in early August.
- All students are eligible to receive a school issued Chromebook. Chromebook distribution will begin the week of August 24th.
- Each high school will be divided in half and students will be assigned to either a “Blue Team” or a “Green Team.”
- Each team will be invited to be in school for two days at a time. Two days in school, two days home, repeating.
- Every ninth day, all students and staff will remain home for Virtual Instruction.
- Students will be responsible for following their schedule and keeping all assignments current. Responsibility and accountability will be very similar to what we are all accustomed to during a normal school year.
- 9th grade students will be invited into our schools first while all 10th, 11th and 12th grade students begin school virtually.
- 9th grade students begin in person instruction on September 1.
- 10th, 11th and 12th grade students log in for virtual instruction on September 1 but do not physically report to the building until September 16. We believe this partial in person opening is best for all students and staff as we can carefully monitor all safety protocols while living life in a school building six feet apart. In addition, issues with our bus schedule is a challenge and this partial opening will allow us time to be certain all safety protocols are working well and/or modified to allow for increased numbers of students.
- Free Breakfast for all students will once again be available. Although there will be less of a selection, lunch will be available for all students as well. We are fortunate to have large cafeterias and we are planning to utilize them and expect the full cooperation of our students that eat both inside and outside regarding social distancing.
- We will continue to schedule after school Activity buses at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Our 6:00 p.m. bus will also run every Monday-Thursday.
- Unless you are scheduled to meet with a club or a team, all students will be expected to leave school at 2:45 p.m. Until further notice, our school library, weight room and other common areas will be closed.
- If you remain on virtual instruction, meal pick-up will continue during the year on Monday and Thursday at each school between 7:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- Juniors and Seniors will be permitted to drive to school and park. The $100.00 parking fee for the year has been waived. Information regarding driving/parking will be sent home in early August.
- On August 12th, all students will be assigned to a “Blue Team” or a “Green Team” and student schedules will be available in Genesis.
- Bus passes and route information will be mailed to all eligible students the week of August 17th.
- Once again, all 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students will begin Virtual Instruction on September 1 and not physically report to school until September 16.
- 9th grade students will be invited to begin in person instruction on September 1st and will have an extended orientation as they begin their high school experience.
We know this is a lot of information to share at one time. Please know that we continue to prepare for the safe opening of school and the launch of our co-curricular programs. More information will follow. At this time, we are sharing what we feel is the basic information you will need to begin your planning for the opening of school scheduled for September 1.
We thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to seeing our students again beginning in September.
John J. Keenan
Superintendent of Schools