Phone: 609-625-0657 ext 5434
Degrees and Certifications:
BA in Literature Teacher of English Teacher of Special Education
Mr. William Boyer
My name is Mr. William Boyer. I teach Midnight Literature with Mr. Alten amd Ms. Twiggs. I also teach Adventures in literature with Mrs. Megill. In addition to teaching, I help with Stage Craft for Drama, I am the Winter Weight Room Coordinator, and coadvisor to the Gamers' Club.
Always remember C.P.R
Midnight Literature 2020 - 20201
Mr. Alten/Mr. Boyer/Ms. Twiggs
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” - H.P Lovecraft
House Rules: C.P.R Cooperation- Participation- Respect
Focus: Man vs Supe
rnatural; Man vs Self
Theme: Dread, Coming of Age, Choices
Major Works and Film: Frankenstein; Dracula; Edgar A. Poe; Texas Chainsaw Massacre; Christine; Watchmen; (Macbeth)
Focus: Man vs Man; Morality and the Apocalypse; Satire
Theme: Survival, Responsibility, Choices, Parenting
Major Works and Film: Macbeth; The Road; The Zombie Survival Guide; Dawn of the Dead; Shaun of the Dead; Freaks
Focus: Science Fiction
Theme: Fear of the unknown; Dangers of technology; Man vs Machine
Major Works and Film: Various short stories; Martian Chronicles; I, Robot; ; Unwind; The Thing; Stranger Things; Minority Report
Independent Reading: H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Robert Kirkman, and many others (TBA). Questions and comments will be held on Google Classroom. Dates forthcoming.
Assessment: Tests, Papers, Projects, Quizzes 50%
Assignments: Classwork, Homework, Participation 40%
Progress Assessments 10%
Late Work Policies
- Essays may be submitted late for partial credit (determined via school policy).
- In the event of an absence, students must make up quizzes within five school days. If not, a zero will be assigned. Homework and classwork must also be submitted on time for full credit.
- In the event of an absence, homework or classwork must be submitted one day after the absence in order to receive full credit.
- Completed homework and classwork submitted late be penalized:
- 1 day late -25%
- 2 days late -50%
- A notebook with 2 - 3 sections, a folder, and a writing implement are required daily. A 3 ring binder is acceptable. Sections include Journals/ Notes/ Class copies
- Organization is key.
- Google Drive & Classroom will be an integral component of this class (Docs and Slides in particular). Google Classroom code: TBA
- Vocabulary is assigned regularly.
- 10 - 15 words, accompanying activities, and a QUIZ
- Daily Journal.
- Students will complete the question/topic of the day on a daily basis.
- The question and answer selections must be copied down (This will count as a weekly classwork grade.).
Expectations or C.P.R
- Students must arrive to class on time.
- Failure to do so will result in a loss of classwork points and disciplinary repercussions.
- Students must be seated in their assigned seats when the bell rings and be prepared to learn.
- Students will not invade one another’s personal space (Don’t touch each other, please.).
- No foul language or racial epithets.
- Students are expected to be open-minded and tolerant.
- Respect one another and the teacher.
- No hoods are to be worn (in compliance with school policy).
- All electronic devices must be PUT AWAY and OUT OF SIGHT unless the teacher says otherwise..
- Failure to do so is insubordination and loss of participation points. Parents should inform the school if there's anything pressing that their student may be expecting a call/text
Additional Online Expectations
- Dress appropriately
- Be in camera view
- Keep camera a natural distance from your face
- NO eating (even if muted)
Be On Time
- Plan ahead
- Log on a few minutes before the start of a meeting
- Don’t be late and cause distraction
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Find a quiet place
- Make sure no personal information is in view
- Use good lighting
- Mute yourself when someone else is speaking
- Raise your hand or type questions in the chat
- Don’t monopolize the meeting
- Be kind
- Use a charged device
- Turn on the camera
- Use headphones if you have them
- Be attentive
- Be focused
- Engage and actively participate with meaningful contributions
- Ask questions if necessary
- Don’t just silently observe
- Be your own advocate.
- If you have an issue with an assignment, need additional help, or are worried about a deadline, please come and see me after class or during one of my free periods.
- Email is the most efficient way to reach me: