Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Mike Gehres
609-593-3560 ext. 5513
Bachelors of Science from Glassboro State College - Health & PE Certified
Masters in School Leadership from Wilmington University
Teacher of Health & Wellness
Parents/Guardians & Students of Health & Wellness,We hope this finds you safe and well during this trying time. During this time away from the building, we will be following the school's expectations for online learning. This is to notify you that all future Health & Wellness assignments will be administered through Google Classroom.With the exception of this week, all assignments will be issued on Monday mornings beginning March 23rd, 2020 through Google Classroom and will be due by Thursday (by midnight) of each week in order to receive full credit. Assignments must be submitted through Google Classroom.Please remember...not making up missed school days is contingent on you completing the work assigned! Please complete ALL work :)If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email me at MGehres@gehrhsd.net or call and leave a voicemail at 609-593-3560 ext. 5513. I will be checking both mulriple times a day and will answer any questions as quickly as possible. We will be available daily to monitor student work and answer questions.
If you're absent from class or miss school, please refer to the information below:
Absent Make Up Assignments:
Directions: Students must complete one of the following assignments for each missing day of Physical Education Class. If the student completes the assignment in a timely matter they will receive credit for their ZERO. A student must complete a different assignment each time. You will be graded on your overall completion of the assignment including grammar and sentence structure. Ask your Physical Education Teacher if you have any questions. Example-Absent from any class or numerous absences in a 8 day grading block. Other assignments can be added based on current & other units of study.
- Fitness/Health Related Current Event (Makes up 1 missed day of PE credit if complete)
- Research online and read a current event article related to Fitness/Health/Wellness.
- Write a 150 word ESSAY response: explain the article; explain your opinion on the article. – Include the source of the article.
- Sportsmanship essay (Makes up 1 missed day of PE credit if complete)
- Complete a 150 word ESSAY on your definition of sportsmanship and why it is important to you in Physical Education Class, Athletics or any other area of your life.
- Fitness/Sporting event observation (Makes up 1 missed day of PE credit if complete)
- Watch a sporting event/fitness event from start to finish.
- Write a 150 word ESSAY response about the event including the following: Type of Event, Event Date, Event Location, Teams Participating, Final Score, Event Highlights, and reaction statement about the event.
- 5 day Meal Plan(Depending on detailed content, may be used for more than one day’s credit)-Teacher's Discretion
- Complete a 5 Day Meal Chart for each day of the week.
- Track your diet over a five day period. Write down all foods & beverages consumed each day (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks) include amounts on all beverages and water.
- Write a 100 word ESSAY reaction to your nutritional habits, its level of quality, and ways you can improve your nutritional habits.
- 5 Day Fitness Log(Depending on detailed content, may be used for more than one day’s credit)-Teacher's Discretion
- Complete a 5 Day Fitness Chart for each day of the week.
- Track your personal fitness activities over a five day period. Write down all activities, in detail. (Walking to class, Phys Ed Class, athletics/practice, working out, going to the gym, rehab, etc)
- Write a summary of your level of fitness activities. Estimate time spent and calories expended.
- Write a 100 word ESSAY reaction to your personal level of fitness and ways you can improve it.
- Exercise/Fitness Plan (Depending on detailed content, may be used for more than one day’s credit)-Teacher's Discretion
- You CREATE an exercise/fitness plan for each day of the week for one month
- Identify objective of workout - ex. Tone, strengthening, muscle mass, endurance, sport specific
- You must include 5 different exercises for each day; Show progression and logic
- Alternate muscle groups, upper body/lower body, cardiorespiratory.
- Sport Related PowerPoint (Depending on detailed content, may be used for more than one day’s credit )-Teacher's Discretion
- Choose the sport/activity that you are participating in currently in your PE class, or any sport that interests you
- 6 Slides of information (minimum) - Must include the following; History of the sport, Rules of the game, Equipment for the sport, Top college/pro teams for the sport, and any other fun facts.
- Pictures and/or Videos, and Multiple Bullet Points must be on each slide
Physical Education 2019 - 2020
Soccer, Football, Ultimate Frisbee, Physical Fitness, Team Handball, Strength training, Weight training, Cardiovascular activities, Basketball, Volleyball, Track & Field, Lacrosse, Softball, Archery, Tennis and Badminton, Pickleball, Floor Hockey.
Freshmen only: Project Adventure 1: (cooperative games and problem solvers: first couple of weeks)
Proper Physical Education Attire: For safety and hygiene reasons, students are required to fully change their clothes before and after P.E. class. NO JEWELRY
- PE UNIFORM Grey Shirt $5 & Green Shorts $12
- T- Shirt (different from your school Tee)
- Cotton/Mesh shorts **ALL shorts must be an appropriate length**
- Wind/warm-up pants
**If you are wearing your PE clothes under your school clothes or you get caught wearing your school clothing/pants under your sweat pants you will lose FULL CREDIT that day.
*** All students must bring their own lock to secure their belongings in the locker room****
Attendance: If a student misses class 16 days during the school year, the student will receive an incomplete. This includes being absent from school, sports teams leaving early, field trips, doctor’s appointments, school related appointments. Please remember if a student misses 20 minutes or more for class this also counts as missing the class for that day. (PE days missed for any reason will result in loss of that day’s credit and must be made up through written work from teacher’s website or student can ask teacher for information regarding written work)
Make-Up Work: After 4 class absences, PE days missed for any reason will result inloss of that day's credit and must be made up through written work from teaher's website or student can ask teacher for information regarding work.
Extra Credit: A student can earn extra credit for wearing the physical education t-shirt and shorts available for purchase at the school store. Each day Pirate gear is worn the student will accumulate 1/5 point towards their marking period grade.
Lateness: Students must be in the locker rooms by the late bell or they may be denied access to the locker room and therefore unable to dress for P.E. This will cause them to be unprepared for class. Written Tests/Skill Test: A progress assessment, either a written or skills test, may be given for each activity taught in a trimester.
- Each class will only meet 3 times in a 4 day rotation (A-D days)
- After 2 cycles of A-D days: a grade will be given for each of the 3 categories. Teachers may use their hard copy spreadsheets to record daily grades for each category.
- After four missed classes for ANY reason the student will have the opportunity to make up the work. Written “PE Make-Up Assignments” can be found on each teacher's school web page (each missed class will result in full loss of points (10 points for each category) of that day’s credit until make-up assignment is handed in)
- There is no basement grade attached to 3rd trimester any more. If you earn a 25% you will receive a 25%.
- Cell phones/tablets are not permitted in PE. Using an electronic device will result in -2 points first time it’s used, 5 total points 2nd time and loss of full engagement points (10) for 3rd time used.
2018-2019 Physical Education Grading Procedures
Skills and Knowledge (30% of trimester grade)
- 10 points per class (60 points per two A-D cycle)
- Fitness Logs
- Rubrics for each unit
- Progress Assessments (written and skill)
Readiness (35% of trimester grade)
- 10 points per class (60 points per 2 A-D cycle)
- 10 points earned for fully being prepared (changed shirt, shorts, proper sneakers)
- 5 points earned for proper footwear but not changed into proper clothes
- 0 points earned for not changing and not wearing proper footwear
*Footwear not considered appropriate (You will not be permitted to participate if you are not wearing the proper footwear also affecting your engagement and skill grades for that day):
- Boots, Slides, Uggs, Sandals, Flip-flops, Boat shoes/Sanuks, Moccasins, Slippers
*Clothing not considered appropriate:
- Tank Tops, cut/ripped shirts, any type of jersey/athletic uniform (ESP CCHS), button down shirts, cargo/khaki shorts, jeans, yoga pants/leggings
- *All shorts must be appropriate length
Engagement and Safety (35% of trimester grade)
- 10 points per class (60 points per 2 A-D cycle)
- All 10 points earned for full engagement and cooperation/following directions/on time to squad and on time to activity
- 5 points earned for full engagement, no full cooperation/following directions/late(s) to squad or activity
- 0 points earned for no engagement, no cooperation/following directions
Contact Information: 609-593-3560