The Computer Science and Network Technology course sequence and magnet program at Absegami provides students a comprehensive, 4-year experience in many aspects of the computer science field. Computer Science is the fastest-growing job sector nationally and offers job opportunities in almost every field. Students participating in this program will be given extensive training in Python and Java as well as instruction in Cybersecurity and network safety. We have partnered with PLTW and Code.org to bring the most up to date computer science education to students and annually review each course to ensure they align with industry standards and expectations. Students have the opportunity to earn college credit through the two AP classes that are a part of the program. Additionally, independent study courses in more complex fields may be explored during the senior year.
Computer Science Statistics*:
- Employment of computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 12 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. These occupations are projected to add about 546,200 new jobs. Demand for these workers will stem from greater emphasis on cloud computing, the collection and storage of big data, and information security.
- The median annual wage for computer and information technology occupations was $86,320 in May 2018, which was higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $38,640.
*From the Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019)
- PLTW Computer Science Essentials
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Computer Science A
- PLTW Cybersecurity/ Capstone
Meet the Teachers:
Mr. Ron Schmid
Supervisor of Computer Science
609-652-1372 ext 3995